Old September 17th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Right seat in the Tri-Motor

wrote:
On 17 Sep, 05:09, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
Got to fly right seat in the EAA's Ford Tri-Motor this afternoon. Quite an
experience.
It's such a low speed, high lift aircraft, it seems to literally leap into
air with 10 to 15 kts down the runway. It felt like I was flying an 11 seat,
1350 hp ultralight.
It's certainly the most unusual endorsement in my log book. Thought I would
mention it, and see what some of your favorite log entries were among the
group.

You're right. That Tri-motor wing takes lift seriously :-))
My most unusual entry would have to be the "Breezy". Sitting up there in
a dining room chair out in the open at altitude has to be one of my more
"memorable moments" in aviation :-))

We had one of these at school (quite a while back):
http://home.tiscali.nl/grasshopper/photoalbum.htm
(Slingsby T.38 Grasshopper )

I was terrified in case anyone asked me to get in it but fortunately
it was never used to my knowledge.

Seems a MAD idea, single seat initial trainer.
I believe though that they really did use them in that manner
with manual bungee launch.

To make matters worse, I flew it in October. I can still feel that cold
air going up my pant legs :-))

--
Dudley Henriques