Old October 3rd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Expanded World Class

On Sep 29, 3:22 pm, Ian Cant
wrote:
If you refer to

http://www.fai.org/gliding/bureau2006_2

minutes of the FAI Gliding Commission Bureau meeting,
you will find:

'A2.8 Discussion on Class structure in the "light-end"
RS explained the problem we have at the light end,
where a fairly limited number of aircraft are divided
into 3 categories.

It was decided to work towards a solution where the
existing World Class was extended to include the other
gliders after 2009. This could e.g. be with a max take
off weight of 300 kg, including motor gliders, and
possibly with max. 13 meter wingspan. The PW-5 should
be allowed under grandfather rules.
Action: RS and AR to develop year-2 proposal for extension
of the World Class after 2009.
Action: BH to check the FAI rules about changing a
class definition.

It was not considered worth creating a competition
class for the "less than 80 kg" class.'

This seems to indicate that from 2009 aircraft other
than PW-5s will be eligible to compete in a new World
Class. Heads up for Sparrowhawks and Russias, among
others.

Ian

Soon we will see a very good 13m glider ....for $120,000.-only.
And the happy owner will be a World Class Champion.
Was that an original idea behind the World Class?