Old October 9th 03, 01:10 AM
Ed Majden

"Gregorso"
Did the Red Baron ever engage in battle with Eddie Rickenbacker? I
have seen conflicting stories on various websites. Some say
Rickenbacker shot the Baron down, ... some say the Baron died before
Rickenbacker saw action.

There is quite a controversy as to who brought down Manfred von
Richthofen, the Red Baron. Canadian pilot Arthur Roy Brown is generally
given credit for bringing him down on April 21,1918 over allied territory.
Further investigation points to Australian machine gun ground fire. Both
aircraft and land based machine guns used 303 ammunition and he was hit by
this type of bullet. Apparently he lived long enough to land the aircraft.
There was a special program on NOVA about this controversy. I guess no one
will ever know for sure. It definitely was not Rickenbacker that brought
him down. I don't know if the Americans ever tangled with the Red Barons so
called Flying Circus group commanded by Richthofen.

Ed Majden