Old October 30th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee[_2_]

Default When to descend II

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I've not flown in that area, but ATC may be wanting you to fly to Royce
before turning inbound because of traffic on approach to Rwy 12L. There are
some issues with intersecting flight paths that need to be avoided when
dealing with parallel runway operations.

If it is a "maybe" in your mind, then it's best to comply.

Having said that, I would have assumed ATC wanted me to fly to ROYCE before
turning inbound, at or above two thousand; but I would request
clarification from the tower as to whether I could go straight in from my
present position, if that seemed a viable alternative.

No turn inbound required. He is presumably already on the localizer or
he couldn't identify ROYCE.

Of course, if in VMC, you could cancel your IFR flight plan, mooting the
previous ATC clearance.

Might not be the best airspace to be doing that without making sure you
won't be descending onto some other aircraft like Newps says.