Old November 8th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default 737 thinks it's a DC-10?

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Kingfish wrote in
ups.com:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh..._N.htm?csp=Tra
vel

Maybe a broken fuse pin like the one that brought down that El Al 747
in Amsterdam back in '92? I know airline pilots train for power loss
during critical phases of flight, but I wonder how differently the
plane handles after shedding an engine?

Not too big a deal on a twin. A bit more exciting on a 4 engine airplane,
The damage done by the departing engine can be a problem (AA in Chicago,
'79) and a heavily laden four engined airplane's performance only alows for
the loss of one on takeoff. Two out is a very bad thing. Just ask Air
France.

I have heard that a 727 could fly on one
engine. What would that be like?