Old November 14th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default contest number question

On Nov 14, 1:16 pm, Udo wrote:
Why would you call the other pilot if you see him?
There are only limited circumstances in which a call is appropriate.
I never could under stand why one would make a call
if the calling pilot is in a 180 degree cone behind the pilot.
If you feel under thread from that pilot do not go near him.
I can not stand it when a call is made "I am passing from behind
overhead"
or similar announcements when it is clear that pilot is showing poor
judgment.
Udo

On Nov 14, 12:28 pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:

Gary Emerson wrote:
I haven't even looked, but I'm guessing there is still a requirement in
the contest "rules" to have contest numbers under the wing, etc.

Gary

I appreciate being able to radio-call the fella over there who doesn't appear
to see me.

Udo,

How about the following. Closing (slowly) on the guy in front of you
on the ridge. You need to pass below/inside but doing this means
that you will lose sight of him shortly after passing. I'd sure like
the guy to know what's about to happen so he doesn't choose that
moment to push it closer to the trees. It takes what seems like an
eternity to get clear in that situation. In that case, what would be
nice to hear is:

P3: "Alpha Bravo, Papa 3 is passing you on the inside low"
AB: "Click-click" or "Alpha Bravo" or "Alpha Bravo roger" or "I've
got you; you're clear"