Old December 9th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

Default ANY South East Florida Hangar Space?

wrote in message ...
On Dec 9, 11:29 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
Outside in New England, home of the 90 minute winter preflight /
preheat.

God, that brings back (bad) memories. I trained in Wisconsin, in
winter, and (of course) my wise old CFI wasn't about to help me pre-
flight the plane. While he sat inside drinking hot coffee, I shoveled
around the plane, dragged the jet-engine heater up to the cowl,
uncoiled the 100 foot of (what seemed like solid wire) extension cord,
positioned the ducts accordingly, and cleared the aircraft of ice and
snow in sub-zero weather.

Wait 20 minutes, and THEN hope the plane actually starts. Did that
three mornings a week, before work, all winter. Got my ticket in
February.

I've been fortunate to have a hangar for our planes since Day One of
ownership, nine years ago. Although the hangar's not heated, the
plane's engine is, and the oil is a nice, toasty 85 degrees at start-
up, no matter the weather outside. Best of all, no busting ice and
snow off the wings!

Of course, we found our hangar door frozen to the ground last week,
which took an hour of effort to break free. So although it's better
with a hangar, winter can still be tough.

Luckily, cold-weather flying is so much better, it makes it all worth
it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I've also done my share of outside cold weather tie down and flying in
New York. The plane I currently own is a 61 year old Ercoupe with
fabric wings. I would like to keep it in the restored condition it is
in. That's why I am trying to get hangar space. At $7000 a year for
hangar space I could just let it rot outside and buy another plane in
5-6 years.
Another alternative is to buy the complete set up from Bruces covers,
wings, engine, tail and canopy. That might be the solution if I don't
find anything.
Thanks for all of your input.
Dave N415DK 1946 Ercoupe

I would think you really don't need a hangar in Florida; a simple sun shade car port (plane port?) would be mostly just
fine. Seems the hangars blow down in the hurricanes anyway...