Old December 12th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default New 29 Palms Winchfest Video

"tommytoyz" wrote in message
Bill,
How many winch launches do you have under your belt?

Since 1960, thousands, maybe tens of thousands.
On how many winches have you launched under?

Lost count
How many students have you taught flying off a winch?

Hundreds

I have over 400 launches off various winches in Europe and have spent
countless days in winch operations on airfields where there were 100+
launches per day.

Good for you. Now go read a book on how to fly.
If you are actually an instructor, I'm hoping you get a call from your
safety committee.

If you ask any European pilot if they are trained to control airspeed
by pushing or pulling during a winch launch, I doubt you'll get a
response in the affirmative.

You already have.

The one who determines the airspeed more than anything is the winch
driver and the wind gradient, not the pilot.

Profound ignorance.

If you want to reinvent winch launching technique using AoA as the
guiding principal, knock yourself out.

I intend to.

Since nobody has used AoA yet for winch launches that I'm aware of,
it's all speculation on your part.

Key words: "I'm aware of". I have used it and it works wonders.

You say that nowhere is an AoA
indicator more important than in winch launches, please spell out why
you think that in detail.

Ask your instructor. This is very basic flying stuff. Ground yourself
until you understand it - otherwise, you're just an accident looking for a
place to happen.

What exactly do you hope to achieve with the AoA during a winch launch
that you could not achieve without it? Please tell.

Would saving some lives work for you?

Bill Daniels
Stand by previous post.