Old January 11th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Minimums?

"F. Baum" wrote in news:7a1f4dfd-626e-4cb5-a7fb-
:

On Jan 10, 2:04*pm, Peter Clark
wrote:

For part 91 ops, you only need to have the required inflight
visibility.

Don't you have to have ceiling and visibility, or at least the laundry
list from 91.175(c)(3)(i) to proceed to 100' ATDZE? *I'm thinking
airport in a valley with fog yet you're at the DH and still above the
layer.

Pete, In the USA ceiling is not a requirement. I dont do part 91 IFR
stuff very often, but as I recall you can still go down and have a
look no mater what the WX is reporting.

Been ages since I did a 91 approach, but unless they've changed it you are
allowed to initiarte an approach in any wx you like and if you see what's
required at the MDA or DH you can land from it.
As opposed to our restriction of having to hve in excess of vis minima
prior to reaching the FAF or OM as the case may be. Once past that, you can
continue to DH if the reported vis is below minimums.
Ceiling is only factored for diversion unless I'm mistaken..

Bertie