Old January 13th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Tricky examiners

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:28:14 -0500, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Really. there will come a time when they'll look at us the way we'd look at
someone who went to sea in a canoe.

I think that's already happening, particularly in the area of navigation.
I've had more than one pilot comment with amazement on the fact that we used
to navigate across the country without GPS. Particularly in areas where
radio navigation is not available (mountains). Apparently, finding
unfamiliar airports without the magic box pointing you right at it, is some
sort of magical feat. I personally know pilots that wouldn't consider flying
a cross-country trip without an operable GPS.

Remember when flying a GA airplane across an ocean was a huge navigational
challenge (HF being what it is)?

My local library has bound copies of the aviation mags going back to the
'20s. Since my plane's equipment is generally not much better than the
state of the art in the 40s, I can often relate to those old articles.

Several years back I saw an old Narco radio (Superhomer) in an aviation
museum and was surprised because I'd removed an identical one from my
airplane only a few years before.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Things have sure come a long way since the Superhomer days for sure. We
used to check the gas against the forcast winds, pick a Magnetic Course
off the nearest VOR and parrell that to the True Course line, allow some

You had a radio that worked?
The planes we had available when I was a primary student did have a
single nav and com that sometimes worked.(over a very short range)

extra gas for ("unintended consequences" :-), then take off, check the
ground speed and wind between the first two checkpoints and get an ETA.
God, we were archaic by modern day standards.......and I haven't even
mentioned trying to fly a damn low freq range leg with a bad headset :-))))

And you had the modern stuff :-))

Roger (K8RI)

Well, at least in the Tri-Pacers and the PA18's. The J3's and the
Aeronca Champs were bare bones indeed :-))

--
Dudley Henriques