Old January 16th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

On Jan 16, 8:29*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote :

On Jan 16, 8:09*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in

:

On Jan 16, 5:07*am, kontiki wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Maybe this is different to me because I live in a fog valley.
Today I

shoot 6 approaches. Weather was reported as 001OVC and 1/8SM.
This is

pretty common weather here. I easily could have landed from any
of th

approaches. Flying over the rabbit I clearly could see far
enough of the runway to land.

If you could see that far the Vis was better than 1/8 SM. Maybe
the AWOS visibility sensor needs to be recalibrated.

No, it looked like about 1/8 mile. Not sure why the FAA requires
1/2 mile if you can already see the runway.

1/8 mile is only a bit over 200 yards! Where were you when you saw
the runway? On an ILS? At 200' you are over 1,000 yards from the
touchdown point the piano keys are 300 yards into the runway.

An ILS allows you to follow the approach lights at 100 feet once you
see the rabbit. *At that point you are 100 feet AGL almost over the
numbers. 200 yards vis from that possition when flying at 80 knots
does not seem to be much of a handful. I can see vis requirements to
prevent pilots from searching for a runway they are not going to find,
but once you have the runway in site, at 100 AGL, vis mins don't seem
to be very meaningful.

Well, hand flying? I think they are.. Single pilot and trying to hand
flw while staring at a couple of flashing lights in space?
Not easy. If anything the Rabbit can be more of a hinderance than a
help.

But we do that legally today. We don't have to see anything other than
the rabbit at 200 feet. I commonly folow the rabbit lights through the
fog down to 100 above TDZE. Again, I can see this being difficult at
150 knots in a 747 but at 80 knots in a Mooney its not very busy.

-robert