Old January 16th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Barry

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

Its very common for students to pour on the coals but not pitch up;
resulting in racing down the runway but not climbing. In fact, I'd say
more than 50% of instrument rated pilots who have lapsed have this issue.

I agree that this is a problem. I attribute it (at least in part) to
over-reliance on the airspeed indicator and lack of attention to the attitude
indicator, and to the notion that since "power controls altitude," all they
have to do to climb is add power. Which, if the plane is trimmed, will
eventually be true, but only after a scary few seconds of hanging around at or
below DH.

Barry