Old January 28th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default "Outlandings" discussion

On Jan 27, 7:07*am, "
wrote:
So, what do you call an outlanding?

I log a "landout' any time I fail to land back at my point of takeoff,
or at my goal on rare straight out flights. I log off airport
landings separately as a subset of landouts. In my book every off
airport landing is a landout but the converse is not true.

I also keep track of landouts more than 50NM from point of departure.
FAA seems to attach more value to those than completed flights and
they saved me a bunch of money for my airplane commercial.

More than once I have arrived at an airport and elected to land in an
adjacent field because I thought it was safer.

Andy