Old January 31st 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default "Outlandings" discussion

On Jan 30, 10:29*am, Chris Reed wrote:
If you think Noddy is a tough one, try explaining the cultural
significance of Noddy's friend the Golliwog to an American.

Mike

Or the perennial eraser/rubber confusion, linked to the Australian usage
of Durex.

True story. I worked as an assitant tennis pro at a posh country
club in the US. New tennis pro comes on board - he's an Aussie. His
wife Ellie keeps the shop.

We walk into the main clubhouse one day and he says "Hang on a minute,
I need to get some supplies for the office." Walks on over to the
main reception area where some of the blue hairs are milling about
waiting for the grill to open for the early bird special. "Hey Judy
(receptionist), I need a big box of rubbers. Ellie and I are going
through them like wild fire -she make a lot of mistakes."

- Blue hairs swallowed their dentures.
- Judy turned a shade of crimson.
- I peed my pants.

25 years later, we still talk about that one.