Old February 18th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default ASH 25e takeoff distances

On Feb 17, 11:55*am, nimbusgb wrote:
I am considering the purchase of an ASH 25e. One of the concerns is
our operating field. On some days a Nimbus 3t with 25.5 m tips things
can be a little marginal if the ship is at max T/O weight. How does
the ASH 25 compare if flown empty but 2 up?

The ASH-25e indicates a sustainer engine of only 25 hp. Don't think
you want to try using it for takeoff, although I'm told it has self
launched with only one pilot and a down-hill runway. The straight 25
(no engine and 2 pilots) is near equal to the Nimbus 3 with water. Our
25e with engine removed and 2 pilots came in about 1600 lbs.
JJ

We are operating off a 'lush' grass field generally behind a 235 hp
Pawnee or a 185 ( I think ) supercub.

The marginal takeoffs are generally behind the supercub on the
occasional days we change take off direction and are faced with an
initial roll uphill with trees at the far threshold.