Old February 18th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Default Marfa in the Movies

Yep, we gave glider rides to several of the movie crew of "No Country
for Old Men", as well as "There Will Be Blood". Chip Love, who played
the "man in Ford" in "No Country" is our local bank president and a
pilot. He gets up from his desk to give my dog "Cozy" treats for her
tricks when we walk into his bank. Yes, you are allowed to bring your
dog (but not your Harley) into the Marfa bank lobby.

We also flew many of the folks who visited during the 50th anniversary
celebration of the movie "Giant" filmed here in 1955. For movie
buffs, it was James Dean's last movie, Dennis Hopper's first major
movie, and also starred Eleizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson.

Marfa has recently found favor as a location for many TV commercials
and music videos.
Apparently the fees and permitting are simple here and we leave the
working film folks alone. Along with our year-round good weather,
bright west Texas skies, renovated main street, and perhaps because
Marfa has evolved into an artists' and writers' community, we are
attracting the attention of location scouts.

The movie for soaring enthusiasts shot at Marfa would be the "Sun Ship
Game", the film of the 1969 US Nationals shot in cinema verite' style
featuring George Moffat, Gleb Derujinsky and Wally Scott.

The dedication of Marfa, Texas, as a National Landmark of Soaring by
the National Soaring Museum will be April 4 & 5, 2008. George Moffat
will speak at our banquet, and some of the pilots from the 1960's
contests will attend, including Ben Greene, "Big John" Brittingham,
Dick Johnson, John Byrd, Bill Holbrook, Ed Byars, Bill Snead, and many
more. Details on this event at our website www.flygliders.com Click
on the "Landmark" button.

Burt
Marfa, TX USA