Old March 27th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default A.N.N. BUSTED! Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

On 2008-03-25, Jim Logajan wrote:
Zoom Campbell may well be a kook. Phil Boyer is not.
But Phil Boyer can be mistaken or otherwise taken in by deliberately
deceptive reporting. Have you seen any mention of this alleged issue
on, say, AvWeb or EAA's web sites?

No. That doesn't mean it's not an issue. I'll believe it's not an
issue when AOPA says it's not an issue. As I've said before, AOPA is
not in the habit of crying wolf.

Jay, it now looks like the EAA also now thinks it is an issue:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-03-25_florida.asp

It contains the specific sections of the FL tax code that it has
concerns about. I did a bit of searching and found the "Official
Internet Site of the Florida Legislature" and the code in question is
here (212.05 and 212.06):

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...Display_Statut...

The EAA letter mentions two pending bills in the FL house and senate
that address the issue, which can be found he

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...l.aspx?BillId=...

and he

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/inde...illInfo&Mode=B....

One caveat: there are a lot of states in the U.S. with sales and use
taxes and it would not surprise me if others also contain ambiguous laws
that can cause pocketbook grief to the unwary if the tax authorities got
aggressive.

Again if this issue is 7 months old why didn't it come up during the
Light Sport Expo this January. The only thing I can see is zzzoom
doesn't have a bone to pick with them. Seems to me that if this was as
big a deal it has been made out to be the Florida Dept of Revenue
would have had a field day there.

If you read the AOPA letter to the FDOR it relates that members are "
concerned " about this. I still think that this goes back to one
person yelling fire in the theater and causing a stampede.

Frank M.Hitlaw at my Secret World Hq