Old April 6th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default How much longer?

On Apr 4, 9:47*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
With Avgas topping five bucks a gallon, I find myself asking: How much more
will it take before GA is completely unaffordable? * At what price point
will all the current "weekend pilots" be driven from the market?

Example: While on our trip back from Florida a couple of weeks ago, we paid
$5.20 per gallon in St. Louis. *Since we needed 60 gallons, we paid over
$300 for a single tank of gas -- something I *never* thought I'd see.

That price has more than doubled in just the last few years, and there
appears to be no end in sight. *So the question is: How much higher must gas
go up before *you* hang up your headphones for the last time? * Anyone care
to predict what year the last personal flights will occur in America?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Well that's still only 2 bucks more than auto gas.

$2 more for fuel compared to a car is a small price compared to the
rest of the expenses of owning a plane.

If gas reaches $10 a gallon before the rest of the economy catches up
to that inflation everything will come to a grinding halt and the
masses won't have food in their grocery stores. Aviation will be far
down on the list of your concerns.