Old April 29th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

Default See SPOT run...

On Apr 29, 10:15*am, wrote:
On Apr 29, 7:00 am, wrote:

Gordon Boettger has just taken off from Minden in another record
breaking distance attempt. It's a blue wave day and he is carrying
SPOT. He will be turning it on as soon as he is in the wave...

See where to follow him live @http://mindensoaringclub.com

SPOT is finally running now - There was interference from his other
GPS at the beginning of the flight.

Track the flight athttp://mindensoaringclub.com

Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for the tip!

Spot use report,
Our club, Black Forest Soaring Society had its first real world XC
Field trial with the Spot GPS tracking system yesterday. One of our
Pilots, Dave Leonard (ZL) was returning from a 500k flight on a less
than perfect day. The last time any of us had radio contact with ZL he
was some 100+ miles away and working his way home. 1.5 hours with out
radio communication due to Pikes Peak between us and our XC pilot, and
in the late afternoon deteriorating conditions we turned on the Spot
web page and presto, all question were answered. We watched the last
3/4 hour of his struggle to get around Pikes Peak and subsequent
landing at Freemont AP some 70 air miles away. Our experience showed
the every 10 minute position reports generally had a 20 minute delay.
But no sweating where or how your missing pilot is, it was an easy
retrieve. I'm sold, and purchased one the week before as well. Now if
only they would add altitude and shorten the delay to the Spot
position report if would be perfect, I understand both are in the
works. I'm sold on the Spot, if your an XC pilot you shouldn’t be
without it, IMHO!
21