Old May 4th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Feds Want to Equipe Gliders With Transponders and Radios

On Sun, 04 May 2008 09:37:13 -0400, Peter Dohm wrote:

The greater problem might be a need to remove the problem during charging,
when a lot more heat is likely to be generated.

I use an automatic charger with bulk charge and float modes.
This unit is designed for 12v batteries in the 6-15Ah capacity range.
It outputs 14.7v at 1.5 amps in bulk mode. My batteries never even get
warm to the touch when on charge.

I'd suggest that if your batteries get hot on charge then there are only
three possibilities:

- you're using a fixed-rate charger with far too high a rate for
the battery.
- you're overcharging with a fixed-rate changer.
- your automatic charger is faulty.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |