Old June 13th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

"Zombywoof" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:27:53 -0500, Dan wrote:

Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Actually O'Hara is demonstrating his lack of strategic planning and
making a rather poor analogy. WW2 was an all out war for survival.
There
were a few people thinking about post war projects, but the priority
was
winning the war. Every part of the economy and infrastructure of the
warring parties was dedicated to winning. Iraq and Afghanistan pale in
comparison.

i'm not arguing for the F-22.

You misunderstand, I never said you were.

and there is a lot at stake in tis war. bush has us on the verge of
becoming
the UK in the post war period, a former superpower
broken by the enourmous cost of a war.

You underestimate the U.S. economy that is not now on a war footing.
The U.K. was bankrupted by fighting for her life with every penny she
had. There's a huge difference.

And every penny she could beg, borrow or steal.

nobody is a credible threat.

Maybe not now, but what about 10 years from now?

I do believe that is the 10,000 dollar question.

and a new country is going to magically appear?
in 10 years things will be prettu nuch as they are now. russia and china
still won't have viable navies.
we are 50 years from any possible wars.

you guys want to build "maginot"fighters. to
fight a war long envisioned in europe but whose conditions have changed.
there is no more warsaw pact. russia has no aircraft carriers nor does
china. the idealogical divide of commie/capitalism is gone.
even china has gone capitalist.

Again you misunderstand. I never said anything about a Cold War
scenario nor did I imply such a case. I never specified an enemy.

Currently the "enemy" is an ideology, all the advanced aircraft in the
world aren't going to help you with that one.

any war for resources will involve our european allies as they need
thm too.
so a russian attempt to take over the middle east would be looked
askance at
by them too.

Again you misunderstand what is going on. Have you noticed the
Europeans aren't agreeing on much as it is? Suppose Iran makes good her
threat to take out Israel and gets a few other local countries to join
in? Are you SURE Europe will unite to ensure a flow of oil? If they
sides against Iran it's a sure thing their supply of oil will be shut
off. The U.S. has to consider going it alone.

Hell what "if" they decide to side with Iran?

israel has nukes too.
and yeah europe is going to side against israel, they sit it out, they ain't
got a dog in that fight.

you two are creating fantasy scenarios.