Old June 15th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Raymond O'Hara

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

"Dan" wrote in message
news
Typhoon502 wrote:
On Jun 14, 7:30 pm, "Paul J. Adam" wrote:
In message , Zombywoof
writes

Now back to the original discussion; the fact that every MIG destroyed
in air-to-air combat (which was fairly lopsided), including the five
Soviet-made MiG-29 Fulcrums, were downed by F-15C's,
Weren't two taken down by F/A-18s?

Doesn't deny the need for capable aircraft, just don't get
platform-obsessed.

I think you're right. And I also think that the Iraqis bagged at least
one US jet...didn't a MiG-25 get a kill on a Hornet?

And to make an aside on the Venezuelan threat scenario, I'm not
entirely confident that the F-15Cs would fight at a parity level with
Su-30s, especially with the latest Russian AAMs. The Eagle drivers
might just find themselves in a sticky situation.

My point exactly. A simple comparison between the U.S.A.A.F. and Nazi
Luftwaffe in early 1945 shows that poorly trained pilots with good
equipment and motivation can still hurt the best air force in the world
albeit with limited effect.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

in 1945 untrained nazies got slaughtered, the luftwaffe didn't come out to
play much anymore and our planes spent their time strafing grounded
fighters.

and venezuela would see its air force slaughtered too.
they don't have sophisticated AWACS needed and they don't and won't have the
numbers.

yeah chavez liked to buddy up with fidel, he makes crazy pronouncements and
he'd be out of business faster than saddam should he try anything with
anybody.