Old July 15th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

Default Use of FLaps in emergency situations

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

wrote in message
A simple reality check is to simply pull back the
throttle close to idle passing the numbers downwind when you're number
one to land and getting used to the sight picture that'll get you to
the runway.

Where I fly (KLNA) that is too often simply impossible. When you have
multiple planes in the pattern, the pattern tends to get bigger...much
bigger. I often fly at odd hours just so that I can practice things like
you suggest, but it is a skill that may do me little good if I am
routinely forced to turn final more than a mile from the airport.

When the circuit is full of students making xc circuits and dragging in long
finals,
We all (should) know that it is improper to cut in front of another aircraft
in the circuit and also that controllers will seldom direct one aircraft to
turn inside of another in the circuit, however......

The code words for requesting this action are to 'request a simulated engine
failure exercise' when making your downwind call abeam of the runway. The
controllers are well aware of what you are trying to do and will often
accommodate this if they are able and have confidence in your ability to
execute. If they are unable they will just decline your request and you are
free to make it again on your next circuit. A little planning and
situational awareness on your part can place you in the correct position to
allow the controller to approve your request.

The alternative is to land for 1/2 hr to get out of sequence with the flight
schools and to make your circuits while they are between air time.

Happy landings,

I was first a glider pilot. One of the first things we learn/teach in
gliders is that you never want to get caught simultaneously low and
downwind of the field. When I started taking airplane lessons, I was
amazed to find that everyone was routinely flying patterns that were
beyond gliding range of the airport. I am not just talking about the turn
from base to final, I mean the much of the downwind leg and the entire
base leg!

Vaughn