Old September 12th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Instructor Effectiveness

On Sep 12, 3:28*pm, wrote:
On Sep 12, 2:01*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Ongoing discussion regarding different techniques. Do we do it with a
touchy feely softly spoken and oh my gosh thats just fine.....
Or do we do it with a harsh what in hell was that all about?
Who did you learn the most from and what was the drill?
Of course there is a different perspective from a civilian learning to
get over the fear of heights or unusual attitudes (as opposed to the
normal of right side up on the highway) and a military student pilot
who is going to be exposed to getting shot in the ass with a rocket
out in the field when they go operational.
What has been most effective for you? The teacher who spent time
explaining what you were trying to learn and how it works, or the one
who just demanded you do the syllabus? How much time did you have to
spend one on one? Or did you even get that opportunity?
Did you have to learn under pressure or did you have the luxury of a
year or two to get to step one? Was it even important to you to get to
step one or two? What was the motivation? Was it for personal
satisfaction? Was it because of familial pressure?
Lots of factors to consider that impact instructor effectiveness.and
student learning.
Should be interesting to discuss.
Ol S&B
CFII/RAM AIGI - Original CFI in 1967

* * * *The type of student should affect the Instructor's teaching
style more than anything. To be nothing but gracious and gentle is to
ask for trouble from the arrogant know-it-all, and to be an abrasive,
critical and noisy instructor is only going to lose many of the
students. Maybe all of them.
* * * * *I've had students who lacked confidence or had irrational
fears, so going easy on them at first and working them harder as they
got the hang of it worked for me. Some needed to be told frequently
that they were progressing OK. The student who already knew it all, or
who had no respect for authority, had to be worked very hard until he
got the idea that he really didn't know it all like he thought he did.
If he had anti-authority problems, he might need to be told to go
elsewhere and bust someone else's rules and airplanes.

* * * * *Dan- Hide quoted text -

Dan
Couldn't say it better!
Cheers