Old September 21st 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default SRA Poll

Some very good points Noel,

Yes getting involved in racing can be intimidating. But it really
isn't that hard espeically in the Sports Class.
While you should spend an evening reading the rules the basics are
quite simple. GPS has really improved this.
I will probably miss something but here is my short list of things you
need to know...

how and when to start the task.
know thermal in a gaggle and know when you need to leave a gaggle.
how to go through the turnpoints and the various turnpoint radi.
how and when to finish.

as in most things 90% of the rules apply to 10% or less of the
situations you might be in as a new contest pilot.

My biggest problem with my 1st contest was that when a gaggle got to
crowded for me I would leave and many of the other gliders would
follow me. Interestingly, usually when I left I found a better thermal
anyway.

If at all possible get a mentor to help you out with the contest.
There are a lot more qualified mentors than I but I would happy to
assist you any way I can.

I have every intention of flying the Sport Class at Region 8 next year
and possibly assisting the the 18 meter Nationals. I have flown sports
class for quite a few years as I tried to keep up with the 15 meter
ships. But my HP18 just can't keep up with the new ASW27's and simlar
ships. I haven't raced at all for a couple years for budgetary reasons
but hope most of that will be resolved next year.

As one note I would like to see the rules changed for some contests to
allow more communication during the contests, Perhaps at the CD
discretion. It would be nice be able to Team Fly with new contest
pilots and lead them around the course. I know that it is a turn off
for many pilots that they go fly for 3 or 4 hours around the contest
couse and don't talk to anyone other than occasional position
reports.. When what they really like is the social aspect of the
flying and the conversation that occurs while doing so, this doesn't
typically happen at contest. Having more open communication would make
the flying more like any other saturday afternoon flight. Of course
some pilots don't care to listen to the chatter, but other do and I am
certainly not recommending this for all contests but I think some
sports class contests would beneifit from this and get more
particiaption as a result. I agree there may be some saftey concerns
about this and as a result it might have to be limited to smaller
contests.

I am not that familar with the proposed Club Class, But i agree it
would be nice to have an intermediate handicapped class that fit
between the Sports class and the15 Meter Class. Perhaps this would
resolve some of the problems with having Nationals on opposite side of
the country if the Sports class was West Coast when the Club class was
East Coast and vica versa.

Hope to see you at Ephrata 2009.

Brian Case
CFIIG/ASEL