Old September 25th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Club Class vs. Sports Class

On Sep 24, 3:22*pm, wrote:

I still think at the regional level you are going to divide up the
classes too much and that overall Sports Class is a better solution to
the challenges facing soaring competition in the US, as well as for
picking US team members.

As a newcomer (who thinks international competiton is cool but
realizes that it is highly unlikely that I'll do it), I couldn't agree
more with 9B's comments.

The US Team comprises such a small percentage of the glider-pilots in
the USA. Its a point of pride to have top finishers at the
International competiton; but I don't want to see my Regionals suffer
just so a a couple of different names get to go overseas once every
year or two.

And the issue of participation goes beyond the "number of entrants per
class" issue. It also speaks to the QUALITY of the pilots I fly
against... If they're scattered between too many classes then I'm not
really getting a chance to fly against the best, am I?

--Noel