Old December 1st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default Survival Rifle II

On Nov 29, 7:05*pm, Dave S wrote:
wrote:

* My main reason for

advocating a black-powder pistol was coming upon one -- a classic
'Rusty' -- *I'd acquired last winter,
-R.S.Hoover

Bob..

* * I appreciate the Homebuilder's spirit here, and being able to do
things on a budget.. But survival gear, including a gun and ammo, is
someplace I'd rather stick with off the shelf, ready to use, keep it
simple technology. A glock pistol (which I've dispatched rabbit with), a
mini 14 or camp carbine sounds much more reassuring than a refurbished
antique with loose powder, caps and balls.

Just one of them things..
Dave

In the interest of discussion and because it's snowing outside, how
about adding the element of non-firearm weapons. It's ancient
history, but weapons like the sling or spear are very effective in
trained hands.

Explosive weapons (firearms), especially those using black powder,
have the annoying habit of not exploding when you want them to and
vice versa. If you miss with your first shot, the next opportunity
may not come for a while. They also tend to get law enforcement
people agitated. In their favor, they take less training to use
effectively.

A spear used with a throwing stick is a fearsome weapon. If you don't
hit a large animal's vital spot, it's still hard for it to chase you
while impaled with an 8 foot spear. A good throwing stick will
provide a range near 100 yards. If you don't care to throw it, it
still makes a good standoff weapon for self defense against an
aggressive animal. Masai boys proved their manhood by taking down a
lion with one.

My favorite ancient weapon is the sling which dates from before
recorded history (I'm not talking about a rubber tube sling shot which
is also a nice weapon). A sling was the standard infantry weapon in
the ancient world - cheap to make and ammunition was everywhere at
hand. It's just a pair of roughly 5 foot leather thongs connected
with a pouch that holds the projectile. One thong has a loop for
your wrist and the other ends in a knot held against the loop making
it easier to hold on to. Vastly oversimplified, you swing it up to
max speed and then "fire" it by releasing the knotted end. The best
technique uses the full body to accelerate the projectile with an
increasing radius somewhat like a bullwhip. The final "muzzle
velocity" can exceed that of most pistols.

If you use an irregular rock, it will sound just like a bullet
ricochet. That will scare away predators which is why they were
popular with shepherds. My favorite projectile was a very silent 1"
ball bearing found in large numbers around an old railroad repair
yard.

As a kid, I perfected the ability to punch a 1" ball bearing through a
steel 55 gallon oil drum - that's hitting power. Accuracy is a bit
dodgy but since it's a silent weapon, most game will allow a second or
third shot. Practice solo since anyone else within several hundred
yards is in mortal danger until you get the hang of it. My favorite
technique was an overhand throw of just one revolution coupled with a
forward lunge. The projectile was released about 12 feet AGL on a
downward trajectory. For greater range, an underhand throw is used.
If you hit a bunny there wouldn't be enough left to eat.