Old December 21st 08, 08:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Nick Hunt

Default Air Canada L-1011

Yep, Rolls-Royce RB211's

"Laurie & Jacques" wrote in message
I actually never have flown on the 10-11. Here are some reasons why I
liked it.

I worked for Air Canada out of Dorval (Now Pierre Elliot Trudeau
International Airport) and Mirabel International; as ground crew, baggage
"hustler", etc

The concept of that aircraft, in my view, was "quick turnaround". What I
mean is this. Everything was containerized: baggage, freight, food, etc.
We had at least three crews of 4 doing the loading/unloading. Two fuel
tenders, one lavatory (sewage) truck and one fresh water truck. The
turnaround time for us was at least 45 minutes. Fuel and all included.

At midships, and in just in front of the wing root, you had a full size
service door for the galley access where the food service truck would line
itself and open the door and deliver/remove all the food carts/ovens. In
other words, one service stop instead of using two to three doors to do
the same job for, let's say a 747. You see, the galley was located under
the main passenger floor at about the mid section of the aircraft. It had
two service elevators in order to send and receive the containers.
Utterly fascinating! Oh, BTW, you still had a "bulk cargo" area aft of
the rear main cargo door for loose mail bags, oversize cargo, baggage,
etc. It really was a delight to work with this aircraft.

Just aft of the galley, you had the electronics bay in which you had to go
through an access door through the galley, if you had to service any
"black box" that might have been deficient (unlike the 747 which was
forward of the front cargo compartment and under the first class floor).

I also had an opportunity to work on the C5, DC 3, DC 10, HS 747, Boeing
747, 737, 707 and a host of others. The 10-11 will remain by far the most
well built and most gorgeous (lack of a better term), and cleanest
designed aircraft that I have eve seen. And remember this: only one ever
crashed. That was in Florida, I believe in the 70s. As compared to the
DC-10s. They had a variety of problems for "pranging".

I am not sure who made the engines, but I think, and correct me if I am
wrong, were Rolls Royce. At least for Air Canada, at any rate. Quality
stuff, in my mind.

Jacques