Old January 1st 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default Minumum Sink Rate/Best L/D at 17,000 feet ?

Hi Gang
There is a caveat to what Eric is saying. With a cranking mid summer
day around Minden it is true if you are going distance most pilots
would balast their gliders to max gross and expect to fly to FL 180.
However in wave flying where you might be close to FL 180 or above
with ATC permission for a good portion of your flight and with
temperatures perhaps around -25 degrees F you would not use water
ballast. I have never known anyone to use water ballast for a wave
flight. Now having said that it may be that having the wings full of
water might reduce flutter at high speeds which could be advantageous.
If so a mixture of water plus antifreeze would be called for. Any
comments anyone?
Dave

PS I have researched flutter without finding any really definitive
papers on the subject. It is widely said that if flutter occurs at say
200mph at sea level it will occur at the same speed at any altitude. I
find this difficult to believe. I always try to apply limit reasoning
to these kinds of problems. Say there was virtually no air would the
wing flutter in free space at 200mph. Of course not. So this reasoning
suggests to me that as the air density diminishes flutter speeds
increase. Now intuition sometimes let you down and there may be an
explanation why my take here is incorrect. Again any comments?

Eric wrote:

Pilots in Nevada and elsewhere that fly at 18,000' routinely stuff in
all the ballast the glider can hold, so apparently not.