Old March 18th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Winch Launch Safety Study

Karl,
that airspeed communication on a winch would work well on the latter
part of a winch launch, but not for the first dew seconds, which is
the most dangerous part, if the winch driver applies too much power at
the outset. I'm just doing the best I can in translating the technical
terms. When they talk about tension controlled winches the word they
use is "Laststeurung" for speed controlled, they use the term:
"Drehzahlregelung" (OK better translation would be RPM controlled).

Bill,
They devote almost an entire page to explaining that the Electric
winch (they don't name it, but it's obviously the E2B) is indeed RPM
controlled in the initial launch phase and they tried to talk to the
manufacturer. The accident statistics are published in the article
with charts and graphs and it's clear as day that the first few
seconds of the launch are the most critical and require the most care
and that winches which are RPM controlled are involved in more
accidents in exactly this phase of the launch by a factor of 7. It's
not even close. Diesel powered RPM controlled winches are involved in
more accidents in this phase by a factor of 2.5 than tension
controlled ones - the latter of which are the vast majority operated
in Germany.

I'm not a transmission expert, so I do not know if certain
transmissions can be operated to hold a certain torque or cable
tension or not. The article does not get into the intricacies of
transmissions, but it does go into how the electric winch functions,
which is too lengthy and technical for me to translate here. The end
result is that it functions as an RPM controlled winch. They also
mention electric winches could be built to be tension controlled,
apparently the E-2B is not.

If you freeze the gas pedal on a GM SUV in flat terrain, you'll
maintain a steady speed. But then, if you start going up hill, you'll
slow down if the gas position is maintained as before and not
increased. It seems to me, the transmission does not maintain a
constant speed of the SUV or RPM of the wheels at the same power
setting, rather it is a torque converter from engine to wheels and
maintains constant torque to the wheels at a constant power setting -
regardless of wheel RPM (vehicle speed).