Old May 8th 09, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M C

Default Flight logger for dummies

Hi Peter,

An approved logger is not required for OLC Classic Scoring IF one uses
approved software that includes Soar Pilot and XCSoar, both of which are
free to the user. These programs have a measure of security built in to
the validation part of their software.
This is to allow participation in OLC for those that can not afford state
of the art equipment.

So, for example, if you have an approved logger, that fails security
validation, and are using approved software, a flight will still be scored
for OLC Classic. This happened to me two weeks ago using a Cambridge 302A
that needed (I guess) its memory cleared. I use XCSoar, so when I
submitted the XCSoar flight log, OLC scored my flight.

GPS, used by current software programs and loggers, since 1984, is WGS84
by definition, soaring began using GPS in the early 90's so equipment
problems should be a non issue in that regard. OLC does not really care
about proper turnpoints, so, IF there is a prediction vector issue, which
I doubt- with modern logging times used and your actual position being
shown on a PDA or PNA with navigation software, it would not make much
difference.

At 07:15 08 May 2009, Peter Purdie wrote:
I am confused (a state my friends and others may confirm is not

unusual).

OLC rejects flights from secure flight recorders where the validity

fails
(for example, where the internal battery which backs up the security
number has gone flat).

Are you saying that IGC files from non-secure recorders, such as PDAs
which can be driven from GPS which

(a) are not necessarily set to WGS84 and

(b) may have the 'prediction vector' enabled - this can record a
position in a zone when the glider turns outside

are acceptable, but one from an IGC approved recorder are not unless

they
pass the validity check?

If so, bizarre.