Old June 6th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default would an AOA indicator be helpful in a glider?

On Jun 5, 5:27*pm, "
wrote:

What is amusing is that pilots who have never had the opportunity to
fly an AOA-indicator equipped aircraft seem to be reluctant to accept
it's advantages and cling to their old ways, while pilots who have
used AOA gauges love them.

Kirk
66

Me personally ( and I bet most of those reluctant pilots ) are NOT
reluctant to _fly_ with an AOA indicator. I am reluctant to spend
more than a small amount of money on that indicator. I also believe
that an AOA indicator is only a small increase in safety. If my
attention wanders from the airspeed, pitch attitude, stick feel and
position and other indications of low airspeed, I don't think that the
AOA indicator would be exempt from that in-attention. I do believe
that the AOA would allow more precise flying with different wing
control is needed.

Again, if someone had put one in my panel, I wouldn't throw it away,
but I would not spend a lot of money on it.

Todd Smith
3S