Old June 12th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
doug

Default Trailer Suspension

On Jun 11, 10:45*pm, Tony Condon
wrote:
Frank-

Torsion axles are great. There were a few comments about getting one
that is not rated for a much heavier load than the actual load and I
agree with this. Roll your trailer with glider over the scales to see
what it really weighs first. I did a quick search, but couldn't find
the adjustable ones I found a couple years ago. The trailing arm was
splined onto the shaft, so you could set the angle to suit the
installation. There are some adjustable ones shown on
trailerpart.com, but they don't appear to be the same. They are very
similar though, with each axle a separate piece. Useful for some
installations, but not as simple, since you have to align it properly.

All that said, when I built my trailer, I made an airbag suspension
with over 14" of travel. It can be lowered for highway running and
raised to go out in the fields. My friends tease me because the
trailer squats to load and unload the glider, but it has the smoothest
ride of anything I have ever ridden in. Yes I did try riding in it!
(I got lucky picking the shocks).

Have fun,
Doug

Oh I know. I plan to go there soon, credit card in hand. *I'm sure I'll
find all sorts of goodies that I can't live without.

There's a Redneck near you.

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/locations/2.htm

Frank Whiteley

-Tony Condon