Old June 12th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

Default Rear View Cameras

On Jun 10, 10:59*am, wrote:
On Jun 10, 12:54*pm, sisu1a wrote:

On Jun 10, 8:57*am, "Ken Kochanski (KK)"
wrote:

Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up *....
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) *... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK

http://www.amazon.com/iPAQ-Photosmar.../dp/B0000DK2ZM

This could work, depending on the software - presumably it puts some
image on the screen so you can frame the shot, and it shoots video.
You might need to put a wider angle lens over the front of it. I do
worry that between the resolution, generally poor contrast of iPaq
screens in sunlight and the natue of gaggle flying, it might be less
effective than a simple wide angle mirror.

9B