Old June 22nd 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Winch Launch Fatality

On Jun 22, 6:15*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:45:02 +0000, Del C wrote:
Generally it is OK to make 180 or 360 degree turns in a modern gliders,
as long as you start at at least 300ft and keep the airspeed up to a
safe manoeuvring speed. The failure to do the latter seems to have been
the probably cause of this accident.

I'm really curious about the field layout: I've never flown a winch
launch from a flat land field where it wasn't possible to land ahead from
a low break or to fly an abbreviated circuit from a higher one, but then
again I've never flown from a site where the winch was positioned off the
end of the runway.

I believe there are fields in Germany and at least one in NZ with a
remotely positioned winch. I can imagine situations on that type of field
where landing ahead may not be a good option, so does Sandhill have this
type of field layout? *

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Google Earth
42.4417017 / -84.0666186
for the layout. The winch run, ~3300ft, should be fairly clear.