Old July 8th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default A fair opportunity to compete?

The Parowan competition was my first glider competition, I was
competing in the sport class and I was in the air for the start having
been launched in the middle of the field. I have participated in many
hang gliding competitions at the regional, national and world levels
that were both foot launched and aerotow based. I also served as the
USHGA Competition Rulebook Chairperson and the USHGA Competition
Committee Chairperson.

Trying to follow all aspects of the discussion and have the following
observations:

JJ raises a great point, what is the definition of 'fair' when it
relates to the start of a task? There are factors beyond anyone's
control and ensuring that everyone is guaranteed to stick places a
tough burden on the competition organizers. Are we trying to
eliminate any aspect of luck or dynamics associated with weather?

While JJ quoted the rulebook but there was a section excluded that IMO
is important

(US) rule 11.1.1 states; A valid competition day is one in which
every regular entrant is given a fair opportunity to compete, and at
least 25% of Contestants achieve a Scored Distance not less than the
Standard Mnimum Task Distance.

The second part of 11.1.1 is another check and balance to measure the
validity of the task and to define the word 'fair' for a given day.

Pertaining to a task opening. There are few more areas that need to
be examined within the rulebook

10.1.5 Task Opens - at a time designated by the CD, about 15 minutes
after the last competitor who accepts his designated launch starts his
takeoff roll.
10.8.1.1 As the last pilot who accepts the designated launch starts
the takeoff roll, the CD will announce the time the class's task
opening, which shall be approximately 15 minutes after this launch,
and long enough to allow this pilot a fair chance to climb prior to
the task opening.
10.8.1.2 After the announcement of task opening time, the CD should
consult with the task advisors as to whether the selected task is fair
and safe. If a delay or a task change is deemed necessary, this
hsould be announced 10 minutes or more before task opening time; task
changes later than this should be avoided when possible.

If we examine these rulebook sections there are some inconsistencies
and/or undefined terms

How do you resolve the difference between (11.1.1) 'given a fair
opportunity to compete' and (10.8.1.1) 'long enough to allow this
pilot a fair chance to climb prior to the task opening'
What does 'pilot who accepts the designated launch' mean and what does
it imply about the intent of that pilot to attempt to start a task?
If the pilot accepts the launch does s/he also accept the risk of not
being able to perform a valid start?

There is one other area that should be examined in the big picture-
Contest Competition Committee. Section 3.1.4 states Contest
Competition Committee chaired by the CD, it consists of up to three
other members appointed by the CD. These members should be
experienced competition pilots, officials of the contest or pilots
with a good understanding of sail plane competitions. (Entrants are
not eligible) The Contest Competition Committee is responsible for
interpretation, assessment of penalties and protest resolution. IMO
opinion the CCC can and should a group of pilots competing and the CD
should not be part of the equation. Think of the term 'jury of your
peers'.

I was disappointed to hear about the protest and since I believe that
luck is always a variable within the sport of soaring I believe that
the day was a valid one for sports class and should have been scored
BTW my standing would not change as I chose to land at a designated
airport when I did not like the weather conditions.

Ron Gleason
DG303 N303MR
Contest Id MR