Old December 23rd 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

Default Want a free tow?

BTW, was a
maximum altitude mentioned? Have you thought about going for the world
altitude record for towed gliders??

Lets see, to be fair Minden to Lampson is 169 mi straight west. Now
the mighty Nimbus has a glide ratio over 50 : 1 but there is usually a
prevailing headwind. True it's downhill but according to my
caculations even if he tows me to 17,999, I'll still be a little shy
of getting home when height differences, mountains and wind are all
considered. Fred, you better open the wave window before we take
off...;-)

Actually, it does bring up an interesting question for the group. Now
that we have beaten the landing on tow topic to death, what is the
highest anyone has ever towed and what kind of towplane and glider got
you there? I'm sure there have been some high tows into wave!

Barry