Old February 25th 10, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jimboffin

Default LiPo Batteries in Gliders

On 25 Feb, 07:31, "Michael Huber" wrote:
LiPos can burn when abused, but there are also reports where a fire
(sometimes more like an explosion) started while the batteries were not in
use. A friend of mine who is working in R&D of LiPo batteries confirmed that
this may happen in some rare cases, so I definitely would not use them in my
glider. I do use A123 LiFe cells (different chemistry than LiPo!) in my self
launcher and I am very happy with the power and capacity they offer.

Michael

And in Europe the use of Li batteries without a manufacturers TN would
invalidate your CofA and therefore your insurance! You Yanks don't
know how lucky you are.

Lol