Old June 8th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Use of 1201 Transponder Squawk for Salt Lake City TRACON

On Jun 8, 7:52*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:14*am, danlj wrote:

On Jun 6, 9:55*am, "Dan Thirkill" wrote:

For pilots flying within the SLC area, use of the 1201 'glider' transponder
sqauwk is now implemented.

I just checked with Todd Ammerman (sp?) of ZMP (Minneapolis Center),
who said that center does not yet know about the code.

It's incredibly easy to telephone the folks at the regional center and
ask if they've implemented it. Is there a technical FAA reference we
can offer when contacting them?

DJ

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...110.66D%20.pdf

See Appendix A, Table A-1. *Changes are bolded.

During my phone conversation with ZDV yesterday, found they've
actually been ready since April. *I was letting a volunteer track this
as he had been trying to negotiate a glider code on the front range
for some time.

I called center and the appropriate person called me back within two
hours. *He was also very interested in the Mitre corporation low cost
ADS-B project which we discussed briefly. *He fully encourages glider
pilots to use the 1201 code.

Frank Whiteley

And in the Colorado case it sounds like the ARTCC folks already knew
that underlying TRACON/Approach radars are all configured for 1201.
I'm not sure if there are any military RAPCON, etc. in the area that
gliders ever use, but can be worth checking with those as well. In
other areas I hope people having that conversation explicitly ask the
ARTCC folks if they know the situation with all the TRACONs/Approach
radar sites covered by that ARTCC.

Darryl