Old June 28th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default 5" PNA Question

On Jun 27, 10:34*pm, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Jun 27, 8:56*pm, ContestID67 wrote:

Andrew,

Do you have a receipe for success to get XC Soar to work with the
PNA? *Maybe a step-by-step install guide? *Thanks.

Actually I think Andrew means the LK8000 program that Coolwind is
developing after forking from the XCSoar program.

I just got back from a 9 week (!) trip to China and specifically
looked at several of this type of unit while I was there.

I had the chance to try the 7" version of this unit (also 800x480)
with a recent version of the development beta of LK8000. *Worked just
fine after I got the GPS serial selected properly. *These units are
running Windows CE version 6 (occasionally 5.5) and the OS is much
more exposed than in most of the units sold in the US. *That makes it
much easier to actually switch between using different GPS programs
without doing a reset.

I was also impressed with the screen brightness and clarity. *Most of
the units I was testing had the protective film on the screen and it
hindered the visibility a little. *I'm sure it would look even better
without the protective film. *The one I was looking at also used the
SD Micro version of external memory. *Much better and usually much
faster to read and write the data.

I didn't buy one because my experience is that they're cheaper to buy
in the US (made in China, go figure!)

Feel free to ask questions. I'll try to answer from what I learned
while I was there.

Mike