Old July 16th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Best place to get gliding lessons?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:23:50 +0000, EvValentin808 wrote:

Mark Jardini;734756 Wrote:
I have an Apis M and I am very pleased with it.

It is a very capable and forgiving ship.

MarkIsn't it expensive, compairing to the other two? Alatus is
18000(24000

for self-launch), Atlas is around there, and the Apis 41000-85000?

If price is important, consider buying a used glider.

But my advice to anybody would be: if you're not yet solo and
(preferably) up to Silver C standard, don't even think about buying a
glider. Fly club gliders, rent, etc. and try as many types as possible to
get the feel of them before you buy.

Performance isn't all important, but IMO handling and your comfort a
- do you like the glider's handling? Do *you* find it easy to fly?
- it must be comfortable, because you'll spend a lot of time in it.
OK, it may be comfortable if you just sit in it, but is it still
comfortable after 3 - 4 hours?
- Are there places you can easily reach to put your water, food, maps?
- What about the peeing arrangements?

So is ease of rigging and derigging. You don't want something that your
club mates will hate helping you to rig.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK