Old August 26th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

Default "Four-On-the-Floor-Gang" Streideck

I'm not much of a "joiner", either (not affiliated with any local
soaring club despite being within driving range of half a dozen). But
I've been an SSA member continuously since 1965 despite--as longtime
RAS readers may recall--being quite vocal about what SSA has done well
and what could have been improved. Some may imagine me as an SSA
"shill" because I was on the board of directors for nearly 10 years or
because I've defended due process in a few situations where I felt the
organization was being tried and convicted in a court of public
speculation. To the contrary, there are still a few SSA directors
today who are said to harbor a grudge because of my insistence on
independent oversight following the CFO-caused financial scandal a few
years ago, now mercifully a dim memory with a happy ending.

The point of all this? I've never thought of cancelling my membership
to show my displeasure when I disagreed with SSA or was angry with
what I perceived was poor performance. They're all we've got. We're a
tiny sport and SSA is heavily dependent on volunteer efforts. The new
online archives ARE a wonderful tool, and not only because I got a
kick out of searching for my name the other day and found all kinds of
small mentions I'd forgotten about. It's a great example of what
SSA can do by leveraging our volunteers. I was in Hobbs in July for
the Std. Class Nats (AKA "the great flood") and saw first hand the
commitment and enthusiasm of the staff there. And I know many of the
directors, all of whom are concerned with doing what's right for US
soaring (even though I don't always agree with them). Things aren't
perfect but they'd be a lot worse without SSA.

So go ahead and "join" anyway, even if you're not normally inclined.
You'll be helping the cause of soaring in this country and--
indirectily--perhaps in other parts of the world. Plus you'll get the
magazine, access to the archives, a cool SSA decal...and an annual
appeal for donations to worthy soaring causes!

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA