Old September 16th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Carl6703[_2_]

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 15, 12:26*am, JS wrote:
The one redeeming quality of the 2-33 "Dragmaster" is that it laughs
at anything roughly resembling a landing.
Peregrine Sailplane got a government contract a few years ago and
forgot about the glider project, including KR-03A support (ie 3000 hr
life extension).
The PW-6 has been around for a while. Perhaps it is a decent trainer?
Ka13 is a lovely glider to fly, but getting old.
IS28b2 goes nicely but has its share of problems. Never had a go in
the IS32.
Bocian? Capstan? Ka-2? At least they fly better than a 2-33.
Too bad Glasflugel never made a two seater. How about converting 604s?
Twin Astir is a bit of a truck to fly, but seems to take some abuse.
Grob twin 2 is not bad, but I've seen a couple with the fuselage
broken around the landing gear and more with square tail and nose
wheels.
Grob twin 3 handles nicer than the 2, know little of it's use as a
basic trainer.
The Puchacz is nice to fly, but some people just don't like it.
Scheibe SF34 is a nice flyer, easy ground handling, great visibility
front and rear. If the new Scheibe Aircraft puts it back into
production the 34 could be a winner.
DG500 isn't bad, not sure about maintenance. DG1000 is better if you
get the electric landing gear mod and keep the battery charged.
The Duo really is wonderful, especially the X (haven't flown XL) but
not cheap. You cannot intentionally spin the original Duos. Great
support.
AS-H25 and Nimbus 4D are both very nice for XC training, but not for
low time pilots.
AS-K21 gets my vote for this job. Comfortable, sturdy, reasonable
handling. Availablenew or used. Great support.Jim

Jim,

I'm interested in your comment on the ASK-21: "Available new or used"
I have placed ASK-21 Wanted ads in several US publications and have
received only one reply. That one had been damaged and the useful
load was unacceptable. Are there used K21's in your area? Do you
have any suggestions where I could place a Wanted ad in the UK or
Europe? Thanks for any help.

Carl B