Old September 19th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default Potential Club Class (US Sports Class) World Team Selection Policy Changes

At 17:53 18 September 2010, Mike wrote:

There are excellent pilots that win in their classes. Let them remain
there doing their best, and if they want to fly Club Class, let them
buy a Club Class ship.

Isn't this a lot like the situation in NASCAR, where there is the premier
series (Sprint Cup, I think it's called) and a secondary series
(Nationwide series). The tendency lately has been for the top drivers in
the Sprint series to show up to race (and win) in the Nationwide. Some
people think this is good, because they get to see the hero drivers win
more races, while others think it's bad because it takes the incentive
out of what was sort of meant to be a feeder series to develop talent for
Sprint Cup. It also takes away the prize money that the Nationwide
drivers really need.

Anyway, I'm not a NASCAR fan myself (but I have friends who are rapid on
the subject) but I think NASCAR has perverted (opinion, others would just
say changed) the meaning of the secondary series.

Jim Beckman