Old December 28th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default 2011 USA Proposed Competition Rules Changes Posted.

As I said earlier, position reporting needs a separate rules section.

Andy

Boy, I hope not. A lot of pain went in to current rules. It's next to
impossible to write broad rules that encompass all the equipment that
people might use now or invent in the future.

Instead, if you have a piece of equipment you really want to use, just
ask the CD for permission. If the CD isn't clear on what to do, ask
for a waiver. Explain why you want to use it and how it works. If the
function is reasonable and consistent with the philosophy of what is
currently allowed -- if, for example, it's there to help crew find you
if you land out -- the answer will probably be yes. If the equipment
is useful for others it will make its way into the rules. That's how
spot evolved. Ham could evolve the same way.

If the function violates the intent of the rules -- if the equipment
can be used as a two-way data link to your ground command station, two-
way video sharing to your teammate, etc. -- the answer will probably
be no.

There is also a reasonable demand to keep rules simple!

John Cochrane