Old April 14th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Tasman Vario on Static

On Apr 14, 2:17*pm, Andy Melville wrote:
Well it would seem that total energy is not required if I folllow this
post.
All I can say is that any speed variations without TE will lead to stick
lift and will make it much harder to centre that thermal as a small back
pressure on the stick will show lift and vice versa
Basic TE is nothing to do with interthermal flying speeds but reduces the
vario indication changes due to speed variations *whilst circling rather
than lift.
In my view absolutely essential!(unless you can circle with no speed
variation at all)

I'm well aware of the advantages of total energy and the affect of
stick thermals. Like I said, I previously had a TE probe on my glider
and could not tell a difference with or without it installed. Perhaps
the static system on my glider sucks, perhaps the TE probe that I
built was worthless, perhaps it just didn't make a difference in my
glider. Either way I managed to have many long duration and distance
flights with my uncompensated winter vario and was very happy with how
it performed. Now I would like to add a nice new audio vario to my
panel.

So....

Does anyone know if the Tasman V2000 will function normally when
hooked up to the gliders static port?