Old April 25th 11, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Bonus Jet glider demo weekend

On Apr 24, 9:43*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Apr 24, 7:43*pm, Bob wrote:
/snip/

The jet is totally self contained. *Flip a switch and the engine comes
out. *Flip on the master and then the run switch and it spools up.
From there, after checking engine instruments, push the throttle and
GO! *Full power climb is over 1000' / min, but after about 300 ' above
the grounde we throttled back to about 75% for 600' / min for smooth
climb to thermals. *Back to idle when the pilot is comfortable the
thermal is good. *Flip "off" switch and automatically the engine slows
down, shuts down, cools for 2 minutes, and retracts back into the
glider body. *Pilot can spend his time thermalling all the time, as
the whole sequence is automatic. *Anytime in the air, just go thru the
start proceedure and you have a powerful jet at your disposal once
again. *The BonusJet carries,I beleive either 24 or 28 gallons of
fuel, good for about an hour at cruise. *TBO is currently 300 hours,
with certification to move up to way more as testing proceeds. *I'd
expect probably 2000 hours within a year.

It appears any glider that can hold a "traditional" engine and prop
could handle this jet setup. *And, the whole thing, including brackets
weighs in at only about 50 lbs. *Can be removed in about 10 minutes.
Amazingly simple setup, well engineered system. *An exhaust "spltter"
keeps the temperature down on the tail.

What does the take-off ground roll or 50' numbers look like?

Thanks

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

On the gravel strip at Turf the roll was slow for the first few feet,
then accelerated well. Seemed to be off the ground in about 700-800',
held in ground effect for another few hundred, gaining airspeed, then
pulled up into 1000 ft/min climb for a few hundred feet, throttle back
to 75% and around 600 ft/min climb. I suspect 50' numbers would be
around 900-1000' with the glider firmly in 1000 ft/min climb at that
point.