Old June 8th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Burghall

Default XC Soar map help needed

In my experience Windows CE regularly "loses" the SD card and only
resetting (gently poke the stylus into the reset switch hole on the side
of the iPaq) allows it to find the card again. You can then copy files
from SD card to the main memory or "iPaq file store".

Then when the card is "lost" you are still in business.

Roger

At 16:50 08 June 2011, Max Kellermann wrote:
Ken Latam wrote:
I have a copy of the XC Soar files(XC Soar and the cabinet files,and

map)on
the SD card in the XC Soar Data directory as you sugested(waist of

time
as
the Ipaq can't see the SD card) and a copy of both file's on the

Ipaq
windows "start up directory" where I can at least see the program

and
work with it a little bit.

XCSoar doesn't look for data files in the "start up directory". And
of course it can't load data files from a SD card that doesn't work in
your iPaq.

If the XC Soar program must run from the SD card then I am at a dead

end
till a solution for the SD card issue is found.

No, you can choose whether to store the data files on the SD card (in
XCSoarData), or on the internal memory (usually "/My
Documents/XCSoarData"). When XCSoarData exists on any SD card, XCSoar
always uses this location. If not, then the one on "My Documents" is
used. The XCSoarData directory is created automatically by XCSoar on
the first start.

Both choices have downsides: old iPaqs are extremely slow at accessing
the SD card. Internal memory is lost after each reboot, and internal
memory decreases the amount of RAM available for XCSoar, and XCSoar
may run out of memory in the middle of a flight.

I like very much what I have seen of XC Soar, but WHY WHY would they

build
a device with an SD and CF slot that the device can't detect.

Just to be su did you insert a SDHC card? Old iPaqs can't read
SDHC. Which filesystem did you use on the card? iPaqs can only read
FAT/VFAT, but not NTFS, for example.

My personal recommendation is to throw away all the ancient kludgy and
buggy Windows CE crap and buy a modern Android device such as the Dell
Streak. It's down to 239 EUR over here in Germany.

Max