Old June 21st 11, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Allan Barnes

Default Glider Insurance for non-US residents

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip next summer to the USA from Australia, from May
through September, and I'm planning on buying a glider before I get
here and having a friend keep it for me until I arrive, then shipping
it out of the US at the end of the trip. I already have a specific
glider in mind. Can anyone advise on what insurance issues I might
face, and the best way around them?

I'd like to insure it for ground risks only until I arrive, but the
seller is concerned that it might be difficult to get insurance
without a US address. I could maybe use my friend's address but don't
want to bother him with having to forward paperwork etc.

One thought I had was that I could leave the insurance in his name,
and add me to the policy as a co-owner. This might work if I left the
current owner with a $1 share in the glider, perhaps?

Any suggestions or advice more than welcome. Thanks...
Al Barnes.