Old August 24th 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

Default Best PDA/PNA for FLARM display?

On Aug 24, 2:01*pm, JS wrote:
In many situations typical IPAQ displays are not easily readable in
the cockpit. If you have a collision alarm and spend time looking down
at a tired old display, you're defeating the purpose of a collision
avoidance system.
ClearNav, Ultimate and Altair will provide bright, readable displays.
Some others too (Samsung Galaxy Tab, Iphone, etc).
Besides a bright display, I believe the Butterfly remote will be
required for audio volume control.
Jim

Thanks to all posters so far. As I thought about this issue myself
overnight, I came to the conclusion that I will need to have the
Butterfly display in a prominent and visible location in/on my panel,
regardless of whether or not I decide to integrate PF output into one
or both of my nav instruments. For instance, I know that ClearNav has
a 3-second update loop, which means that it could be as much as 3
seconds between the time that PF issues a collision alert and the time
that ClearNav displays the corresponding FLARM hits. 3 seconds at
maybe 200-300 fps closure - ouch! This is all independent of the fact
that the Butterfly display is optimized for conflict resolution, and
nav systems aren't. Oh well, back to figuring out where I'm going to
put the Butterfly display! ;-).

TA